This article originally appeared in the March 2016 Stafford County Historical Society newsletter and is shared here on our blog with the author's
Gates with a Story
Anecdotal evidence has long suggested that Belmont's studio and lower pasture gates originated from the grand 1834 house "Smithsonia," located at the
Looming Yankees: The Union Army Hovers Opposite Fredericksburg–Some Images and Incidents.
Belmont was constructed in the 1790s, nearly 126 years prior to the Melchers' purchasing the Falmouth property in 1916. This is an excellent blog post